Pages

05 January 2012

BROAD CANVAS AND A BRUSH


I am a man from the 50s! I believe that my generation, generally born between 1955 and 1965, has been extremely fortunate to have witnessed the world change. When I say witness, it does not necessarily mean direct vision of an event, rather it means events which took place a few years before we were born and were still fresh in the memory of people at that point in time. Those events left an indelible impression on the minds of people who were born after a particular event had come to pass. Those events were talked about, marvelled at, regretted or wished to be repeated. Just imagine what all we have witnessed:

  1. World War II
  2. Availability of bicycle to a common man
  3. Revolution against some of the regimes in the world
  4. Major wars between India and Pakistan
  5. Major Arab-Israel wars
  6. Man’s landing on the moon
  7. Common availability of land line telephone
  8. Advent of technology enabling electrical appliances
  9. Advent of technology enabling electronic instruments
  10. Mobile communication
  11. Internet

The above list is just an indicative one, to show that we have graduated from moving from on foot to posh, swanky cars today. We have indeed come a long way.

Somehow, somewhere deep down my heart, I have mixed feelings of nostalgia, pride, achievement, regret and hope. I would like to go back in time to 60s and 70s and even 80s when the society, by and large, was still healthy and morally sound. Those were the decades of good films and good music. I feel proud to have risen from almost nothing to possess many worldly comforts. I regret many decisions taken during the course of my life and find that my take on those situations would have been different if I were to decide today. All in hindsight, of course. I have a hope for a good future, when all of a sudden, our world will again become clean and more liveable.

No comments:

Post a Comment